Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lucky duck!

I have felt so welcome joining the Menu Planning Monday! It really helps to keep me motivated :) I do have a confession to make. Although I do plan and shop for our meals, I do not prepare them! My boyfriend has been cooking ever since we moved in together 5 years ago. My own specialties are  spaghetti, chili, enchiladas, casseroles and anything sweet! Sometimes I just need to remind myself how lucky I am!

I started making a list on the notepad on my computer for our most used meals so I can keep that as a reference. I hope that helps on my journey to eat out less and spend less at the grocery store. Emily, the comp list lady, has helped this tremendously! She sends out a weekly list of all the ad matches that Walmart will offer, as well as links to all the ads. It has really went viral in our town - just send her an email to get added to the list! 

I have really had my share of good karma and amazing luck lately. 

We received a gift card to Chipotle (amazing!) for Christmas. Since we were ordering 3 burritos, and a few kids meals, I called ahead so I wouldn't hold up the entire line and look like a hippo. I was put on hold and drove there expecting to place my order any second and surely before I arrived. I decided to call back instead and they apologized and took my order. I added that a discount would be great and they said they could do that. As I was paying for our meal, she told me the whole thing was FREE! Free? Are you sure? Free, Free? .. It really shocked me and I have to admit, I teared up instantly. We are on a 'money diet' as I like to call it and even though we had a gift card, $30 is significant. After telling the employee thank you about 500 times and the other employees too, I went on my way. This made my day, it made my week. I just couldn't believe they gave me my whole meal free over something so silly.

On NYE, I got off early from work. I didn't have my debit card on me but still wanted to stop by the store since it was snowing and I wouldn't want to get out later. I used the comp list and I bought milk, taco seasoning, cheese, coke, bananas and refried beans for $9.25. I was pretty excited about how frugal I was being. A little too excited, apparently. We got home and our meal plans changed since we were having company from out of state- another trip to Walmart! I realized then I couldn't find my wallet. My boyfriend went instead and I just kept the anxiety to myself. I finally confess to him that I couldn't find my wallet, and it had my camera in it. I go to Walmart AGAIN and look in the cart holder, as well as check customer service. No luck. I could feel myself starting to tear up as she told me and I left the store. Once I was alone, I just let loose. I knew I couldn't cry my items back to me but it didn't matter. My boyfriend was really supportive and it helped a ton. I expected at least a comment or a mini lecture. 

The next day I called Walmart and someone had turned it in! It was a New Year's miracle! I cried again, this time happy tears. What an emotional roller coaster, I thought they were gone forever.  I really wish I could personally thank whoever returned my wristlet and camera. I hope that person has the best year of their life and the good karma is returned!

No comments:

Post a Comment