Thursday, December 20, 2012

rest in peace, little ones.

The gut wrenching shock of hearing that 20 children & six adults lost their lives at school has not subsided. I have always loved school. I used to go to school early, and participate in everything I could. The list goes on for teachers who have impacted my life and fueled my success. I came from a poor family but it did not lack love, only structure.For some kids, it's their only "safe" place . The only place they ate a hot meal. Not as much in my home town but you also never know.

It strikes a chord with everyone. A sensitive topic brings up lots of emotions and lots of possibilities from no automatic weapon sales, teachers carrying fire arms, mental health reform just to name the ones that I thought of first. I think a good start would be mental health evaluations for all gun owners. This would not have prevented the Sandy Hook tragedy any better than no automatic weapon sales (since he did not use one) but I think it would give me some peace of mind.

Another thing that needs researched is how much, if any, prescription psych drugs impact on acting out violence. In the same way depression medicine is not prescribed to people with suicidal thoughts. They are more likely to act on it. In my mind, this is the only possible solution. Adam Lanza was gifted, but socially awkward. I know people like that. From what we know, he wasn't abused. I can't help but think that the drugs prescribed likely became the follow through. Dare I say, the same with James Holmes. I don't know that either of them took psych drugs for a fact. This is all just my speculation. I think it helps to move on to look at the deep rooted issues instead of just the gun part. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment