Monday, December 17, 2012

I am not an organizing junkie

I just read on I'm an organizing  junkie that clutter is just procrastinated decisions! That's pretty much it. The problem is, even if you know the right thing to do - following through is where it gets serious.

I know I have issues with saving clothes, items, whatev. To me, it's because it COSTS money. I try not to waste anything. I actually like the tips from the cheapskate show on TLC. In my brain, when I throw something away, I am throwing away money. I don't mind throwing away my time apparently, looking for stuff - but money, the cheddar, not going anywhere out of my sight.

Questions to ask yourself when donating or throwing items away:

1. Do I love them?
2. Do I use them? How long ago did I use them?
3. Do I have the space to store both without it being a cluttered space? 
4. Am I willing to give up something else in this space in order to make room for both? 
4. Can I imagine myself or anyone in my family ever loving it or needing it in the foreseeable future? 

Org Junkie’s Tips for Parting with Your Clothes

1.  If you haven’t worn something in a year then out it goes regardless of condition, price or size.  Why a year?  Because you cover every season in that period of time.  If you haven’t worn it during the year, you probably never will.
2.  If you have a piece of clothing that you wear but are annoyed with it every time you do, seriously stop it.
3.  If it’s waiting to be mended and it’s been waiting for a long time then enough is enough already.
4.  If you hate to iron and your ironing pile sits there totally neglected while you wear all your favorite clothing over and over again, why do you still have an ironing pile?
5.  I’m not opposed to keeping your “skinny” clothes (and I know we all do it) but for goodness sakes you don’t need to keep all of it.  Styles change, your tastes change, your body shape changes so chances are good that when you get back to that size you’re going to want new stuff anyway.
6.  If you absolutely love a shirt but never wear it because you have nothing to wear it with, well guess what, a mate isn’t going to magically appear in the night.  Follow the one year rule.
7.  Sentimental clothes that you aren’t wearing shouldn’t reside in your closet.   Either take a picture of it and preserve the memory or limit yourself to one tote of “clothes to show my kids so they can laugh their heads off at me someday”.
8.  Don’t hang onto something that is “just alright” because you don’t have something better yet to replace it.  Let it go now unless it means you go naked, that wouldn’t be right.
9.  You don’t have to do it all at once.  Try organizing in stages and be motivated by your success.  One day you could do shirts, the next day shorts, etc..
10.  Try everything on.  This one I can’t stress enough.  Do not hold something up and say oh this is so beautiful I’m going to keep it.  That’s too easy and what you might not remember is that, although it’s beautiful, the buttons gape at the front showing off your woman parts.  Nope we don’t want that now do we.  Get rid of it.
11.  You only have the space that you do.  Jamming your clothes into the closet and fighting with them every single day to find what you need won’t make your closet grow in the night.  It will only make you grumpy…every single day.  It’s not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment