Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A story

I have thought about writing a book since I realized how mystified my friends were when I talked about growing up poor and the different opportunities that it did or did not provide. I feel like one of the lucky ones, who rose above my "class" and graduated college,  and have a pretty good job. There are many reasons why my path has come so far but one of the big ones is a positive attitude. I didn't know I was poor most of my life until I started comparing what I had to what others had. Then I met my boyfriend. As I hear his story more and more, I think I'm going to write a book on him instead. He didn't graduate college, but it's pretty amazing to be where he is today with all that has happened in his life. This is my new goal, and we have a title. Or I could write a story about both our lives and how we ended up together - the perfect mix of poor Kansas kids just trying to give better opportunities to our own. Our own little American Dream.

I wonder how one gets started on a book. Of course I should just google it. I was thinking about starting my part and then recording his and going from there. Do I have too much of a positive attitude to put his story into the right perspective? This could happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment